In this episode of From Tailors with Love we look at TRUE LIES from (1994). The Costume Designer was Marlene Stewart who’s filmography includes TOP GUN 2, OBLIVION, GONE IN SIXTY SECONDS, THE SAINT (Val Kilmer), FALLING DOWN, JFK, TERMINATOR 2 amongst others.
Listen to the podcast
Or watch on YouTube
I’ve included some screen grabs from the film that will help you contextualise the chat about the style of True Lies.
The opening Scene, sees Arnold Schwarzenegger as Harry Tasker, coming out of wetsuit dressed ready for a black tie ball. This scene is very similar to the pre-titles of Goldfinger.
- Arnold’s opening TUX. DB peak lapel 4×1 construction.
- Enter Tom Arnold, the Bolle Video Glasses introduced. Very Bondian.
Description of the glasses
- ARNIE and T. ARNOLD go to work wearing almost the same suit. In colour and cut. Vents are different. Ties are striped, regimental.
- CHARLTON HESTON is the M type figure. Although was inspired by the character from Marvel, later played by Samuel L Jackson. With the eye patch. Nick Fury. Heston wears a 3-piece and a tie bar.
- ARNIE meets TIA CARRERE wearing another Double Breasted 4×1 construction. Changed up the tie. Not much happening in this scene apart from some flirting and exposition. Art Malik slaps Tia to prove he is a real nasty man, not just a terrorist.
- ARNIE goes to JLC (Jamie Lee Curtis) office, learns about her having an affair with Simon played by BILL PAXTON. He is wearing a single breasted suit this time. Darker navy and T. ARNOLD is wearing a light grey.
- ARNIE meets PAXTON. He is wearing a heavier cloth suit and PAXTON has a very low notched lapel, POW suit that has a lot of drape.
- PAXTON gets rumbled, ARNIE and T.ARNOLD shit him up wearing their military sweaters. Reminiscent of the N.Peal but without the boat neck.
- REST OF THE MOVIE plays out with Arnie wearing one shirt that gradually gets reduced to shreds.
- The FINAL SCENE ARNIE and JLC do a tango. ARNIE is wearing a white 4×1 construction peak lapelled Ivory Dinner Jacket.
- Remake of La Total, a french flick
- Jodie foster was gunna be Helen, but dropped out to NELL, madonna was in line also
- Arnie rehearsed the tango for 6 months
- Budget 100 million, made over 378 million dollars
- Sequel planned but scrapped after 9/11
- TV series planned in 2010, and 2019
Who Made the costumes and suits for Arnold Schwarzenegger in True Lies?
The suits for True Lies may have been made by Giacomo Trabalza who made a lot of suits for Arnold during this period. Ryan Hall, Iconic Film Style on Instagram. Ryan goes on to say..
Interestingly by the time Arnold became governor of California he was wearing a lot of Brioni suits apparently. I think suits in the film look great on Arnold (especially considering his size) but he doesn’t look as classic as Brosnan did in Goldeneye.
THE CASIO AMW320
A shout out to Phil Nobile Jr on Instagram for identifying the watch. He gave me the heads up after watching a Vlog on Arnie watches on The Urban Gentry.
- Glasses from Bolle, more info here.
- You can download 55 low res photos of True Lies from my dropbox.
- JAMIE LEE CURTIS’s dress sells for 3k. More details here.
- Costumes sold at Christies and Grey Flannels.
Screen shots of high res sourced from the BLU RAY review. Click link below.